Monday, March 30, 2015

Report on Olea's hive

The bees in Olea's hive have been building comb and I wanted to make sure there was no cross-combing so yesterday I took a look.
Through the viewing window, I could see comb being built so I wanted to lift the bar behind it.  The bar I lifted was about 3/4ths drawn and had nectar and some capped honey.
The top bar upside down resting on other bars

The next bar in line had a hand-sized piece of comb.  I placed an empty bar where the large comb had been, then the large comb, another empty bar and then the small comb.  Les Crowder advises this sort of spacing to prevent cross combing.
Through the vents in the nuc box I can see lots of bees.  There is even some in and out at the nuc entrance.
The foragers from Olea's are bringing in pollen.  I watched the entrance of  #2 and 3 for a short while, no pollen coming in.
The raspberries bloom in the spring

No comments:

Post a Comment