Thursday, June 20, 2013

Two more sources of nectar

When I was out in front, I heard a lot of buzzing.  Looking around, I found the source- the catalpa tree.
On the underside of a catalpa leaf

You may recall sometime ago when I wrote about extrafloral nectaries.  Well, catalpas are one of the plants with this source of nectar and are mentioned in this article.
Maidi had bought some marigolds for our yard party and she wanted me to plant them.  I put them in front of the cucumbers.  I wondered if bees visited marigolds.  I learned from on online search that marigolds repel many insects and nematodes and are therefore used as companion plants in vegetable beds.  Some marigolds will also repel bees.  Fortunately, ours do not:

She blends in well
Yesterday when I was tending to the roses, I heard a lot of buzzing.  There was a cloudlet of bees in front of hive 3.  Oh no, I thought, they're going to swarm.  When I had done the sticky-board counts last week, this hive had as much as the others, but since it had so many fewer bees, I figured the ratio of mites:bees was unhealthy.  I had only one Mite Away quick strip and two strips is the recommended treatment.  So I concluded that even though there was plenty of room in the hive, they were unhappy with the mites and were therefore swarming or absconding.
Fortunately, they all went back into the hive, so it must have been a large orientation flight.
First videoSecond video.
I had already ordered more quick-strips, but I put the remaining single one in, just in case. 
I still don't know what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment