Thursday, April 17, 2014

A swarm for Olea's hive

The swarm in the yard

Beginning to move towards the hebe hedge

The start of a much larger cluster
Maidi called me yesterday when I was in Santa Cruz waiting for marimba.  "The bees just swarmed and are clustered by the lilies!"
It was dusk when I got home and I decided it was too dark for me to capture the swarm, but I did get the top-bar hive ready.
I had saved comb from the hive after its demise to use when repopulating.  However, I had discovered just a day earlier that a rat had gotten into the comb and chewed away much of it, presumably for the beebread.  I had broken off the chewed comb and started processing the wax.  I took the two remaining combs and bars with an inch or so of comb still attached and opened the hive.  To my surprise, a paper wasp had started a nest inside the hive.
The wasp is on the right, mostly hidden
I gently removed the wasp and the nest in a jar.  This morning the wasp had flown away.
I cleaned the propolis off the sides of the top bars, arranged twelve bars with the full combs toward the front, left space in the middle and placed the false back.
This morning I went to move the cluster into Olea's hive.  Access to the swarm was restricted.  There was very little space below them and there was a main trunk next to them.  I cut away a couple of branches, moved some dirt and slid a shallow pan beneath them, then vigorously shook the branch so the bees fell into the pan.  Of course, many landed on the ground, too.
It was then that I realized that the swarm went further into the hedge and was about twice as large as it had seemed.
I carried my tray of bees to the apiary and dumped them into Olea's hive and went back to the hebe for seconds.  Then I put the lid on the hive and went in for breakfast.  This gave the bees on the ground time to crawl back onto the bush.  After breakfast and crossword, I repeated the shake and dump a couple of more times getting most of the bees into Olea's hive.  The rest will eventually make their way over following the scent from the Nasonov glands.
Fanning at their new home with Nasonov glands exposed


No comments:

Post a Comment