Saturday, May 17, 2014

Underneath #1

Before inspecting the hives today, I pulled out the trays below the screened bottom of Nos. 1&2.  I was surprised to see a lot of bees on the #1 tray as well as some comb. 
I crouched down, with some difficulty, and looked underneath, worried that there may be a hole in the screen.  There was no hole, but there were a lot of bees on the screen.
The poor quality picture on the left was taken blindly, pointing the camera under the hive.
Inspection report:  #3-There is some come being drawn in the top brood box, no other significant change from last week
#1- I only checked the top super for new honey production or comb.  There was a fair number of bees on the frames but nothing else.
#2- Lots of brood, at least eight frames!  Two of these were in the top brood box.  I saw the queen in the bottom box and then saw her again on the next frame I removed; an active monarch.  There was some honey production in the top brood box.
Overall, the apiary appears healthy.
After inspecting the hives, I cleaned out the trays, brushed the bees off the screen and replaced the trays.  There was a large amount of debris in the #1 tray.  The black tab in the center is about 3/4 of an inch high.

No comments:

Post a Comment