Saturday, August 23, 2014

Mites and bee death

Yesterday the sticky boards had been in #2 and 3, so I took them out for the mite count.  There was not much debris on either, so I was hopefully optimistic when I sat down to count.  The optimism was short-lived.  I stopped counting at 60 mites when I had not even examined more than half the board.  More than 20 mites per day translates to more than 800 mites in the hive, way too many.  I needed to treat right away.
I already had a supply of mite-away quick strips.  When I have used them in the past, I was unhappy with the way the pads became somewhat squished between the boxes, so I wanted to put in some sort of spacer.
Looking around at my collection of hive parts, my eye fell on the two inner covers that had I had replaced with the Vivaldi boards.  These were just the right size; all I had to do was remove the Masonite. I pondered my choices- cut it out or disassemble the frame.  I elected the latter move since I would then have the Masonite to use for some other project.
Using a screwdriver and vice locks, I removed the nails with a minimum of damage, took out the board and put the frames back together.
  
My usual workshop
The frame/spacers worked well giving the formic acid pads plenty of room.
It was a warm, sunny day, but the #3 bees were still testy, so I crossed "bad weather" off my list of possible explanations for their unruliness.
Later in the afternoon, I took a look at the hives and noticed several dead and dying bees.  I recalled that the mite-away strips could kill bees (#6) and a quick search confirmed my belief.  This is what I saw this morning.
#3
#2


I have confidence that they will do well in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment