Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Clean up the old hive

I have finished the dismantling and clean-up of the defunct hive #3.  With the use of the escape board, I took off box I had combined with #2. I took 4 frames of newish drawn comb from that box and replaced 4 frames with old wax in the top brood box. 
I then spent a couple of days of scraping propolis and burr comb from all the frames and scraping the old wax off the foundation.  I cleaned and repaired the boxes,
Now my shed is full of deep and medium boxes, plastic garbage bags with drawn comb and lots of empty frames. 
I have started building the new hive stands.  My drill press is inadequate for making the necessary holes in the pipes, so today I went by the Cabrillo College tool shop.  The manager there said he would drill the holes for me next week after finals there are done.  Pictures will be forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment