Saturday, April 22, 2017

How are the new queens doing?

It has been 2 weeks since the packages were hived and 8 days since the empty queen cages were removed.  In the order I inspected the hives:
#3:  I saw capped brood and larvae; did not see the queen.  The girls had started building comb on an empty frame.


#2:  I spotted the queen (unmarked) and saw larvae, no capped brood
#1:  I spotted the queen, but no eggs or larvae.  I wrote to Olivarez bees asking if it is too soon to conclude that the third queen is not laying for some reason, perhaps not mated.  I will check again in 3-5 days unless OHB tells me there is a problem and then I will replace the queen.

The swarm is still in the tree, so I assume it will build an exposed hive there.  I am keeping an eye on it with the spotting scope.

A couple of days ago a neighbor let me know that there was a swarm in front of their home.  I went down the next morning.  The swarm was pretty small, about the size of a casaba melon.  I cut away some branches, placed an empty nuc box below it and shook the branch.  This swarm was not the docile bees one usually finds in a swarm cluster!  I was stung 4-5 times and rapidly retreated and put on my veil.  I decided I did not want this colony in my yard- who needs a hot hive?  I left the box there and put out the word that a (hot) swarm was available.  A beek from Bonny Doon was interested and drove down.  The bees had already left by the time he got there, within 3 hours.  That means somewhere near here is a hot bee hive.  Thankfully they did not move into my bait box!

1 comment: