Sunday, August 6, 2017

#2 inspection and alcohol wash mite count

Despite the heat, I went into #2 today.  This is the hive I under-supered 10 days ago.  And the one with the k winged bee.
Naturally, the top super was heavy and full of honey.  I only checked the outer 2-3 frames of the second super.  There was drawn comb and some honey, so the supply is still building.
In the top brood box, I spotted the queen.  There was a good brood pattern, too.  There was still a frame with drone brood.  Once again, I only looked at 5-6 frames. 
I did an alcohol wash mite count with the results in the picture below.
As you can see there is a dismaying number of mites- 26 to be precise.  This is way too many for entering the winter.  This is a good article explaining why.  So I need to treat and the question is when.  Most sources say to treat after the fall honey harvest and others say that here in mid-coast California, we should treat before mid-August.  I plan on treating now, tomorrow actually.  Each Langstroth will get 2 MAQs.  I will not treat Olea's.  One reason is that it is just too difficult.  (Probably the way to treat top bar hives is with oxalic acid dribble or vaporization.  I do intend to decide which method to employ and to get the supplies.)  The other rationalization is that it survived last winter, so by definition is a survivor colony.  By the way, Olea's population was diminished by swarming but now appears to have recovered with bees on all the combs.  Perhaps I will get some honey from it this year.
As a matter of housekeeping, let me know if you wish to continue getting this blog by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment