Saturday, November 25, 2017

Pry scale, part II

I came up with a few options on how to solve the problem:  I could re-enforce the strip of wood that was flexing or I could lift from the sides of the hive that are already rigid.
I could not think of an easy way to re-enforce the wood strip, so opted for lifting at the sides.  Of course, the force of lifting had to be down, against the hive stand, not up against the flexible wood.  I wanted the lever to be on top, so this entailed a couple of more pulleys to redirect the force on the hinged middle bar.
Plans for second pry scale attempt
The shims needed to be moved laterally to make room for the lifters.  The side rails of the hive are only 3/4 inches wide, so I had to be careful giving enough space for the lifters.  Another trip to the hardware stores for more pulleys and stronger metal strips for lifting.
A bit more time in the garage sawing, drilling, adjusting, et voila!, a new pry scale.


The pulleys underneath
Off to the hives for a field test.....Failed!  The thing just did not lift the hives.  It may be that this special non-stretching sailing line actually stretches too much or that the lifting bars are not strong enough or some other malfunction.
This is becoming my great white whale.
Stay tuned for Pry scale, part III

No comments:

Post a Comment