Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hive inspected by an expert.

Yesterday, Ian Coulson came out to inspect my hive. Ian is an experienced beekeeper and founded the Santa Cruz Beekeepers Guild. As you may recall, I had spoken with him about my hive and concerns regarding honey stores. He offered to stop by the next time he was out this way. He called yesterday while I was at work and Maidi told him to stop by and look without me. He did so, inspected my hive and had a sandwich that Maidi prepared for him.
I spoke, at length, with him today. He had good news. Firstly, he said I have a very nice hive that is well located. The bees are pretty, happy and calm. The queen is beautiful. My colony looks good and the amount of honey being stored is probably going to be enough. He agrees that I should be feeding them now and should continue probably through October, although I should make the syrup 2:1 rather than 1:1. My new circular feeder and Vivaldi top arrived. I put the first coat of paint on this morning and soon will apply the second. I won't be able to put it on until Friday because of work.
We talked about treating for diseases. He doesn't treat his many hives, believing in survival of the fittest in order to breed tougher stock. He is willing to lose 1/3 of his hives, though. Nosema is not common here, but I can look out for signs and treat if need be. Foul brood is around, and I should treat if any trace of it appears, like a bad smell (like dirty gym socks). I may follow other beekeepers advice and treat prophylacticaly. I should check for mites now although Russian bees are supposed to be able to deal with them themselves.
We also talked about disturbing the colony by inspecting. He thinks this should be kept to a minimum although he understands my newbie interest and desire to look in often. He recommended being careful not to disrupt the cluster, where all the bees are concentrated around the brood, especially when the weather is cool. He suggested making an observation hive, something I've been considering. He suggest an Ulster type and gave some other practical advice.
I asked about swarming and when the swarm season is; around Easter and lasting about 2 months. If I want to get a swarm for my second hive (I do), I can put my name on a list at different places that people call for swarm removal. I might try a bait hive, too.
Ian knows quite a bit about bees and is the first to say that his approach is not mainstream, maybe even a little eccentric. If you ask 5 beekeepers for advice, you'll get 10 opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment