Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mites, mites, mites

I took out the sticky boards I had placed three days ago. 
The good news- old hive count: 3
The bad news- new hive count: 123!
I immediately put on my bee suit, grabbed a container of Apiguard and opened the hive.
I took out four frames of the top deep box to make room for the pack, scraped the wax off the top of the exposed bottom box frame and placed the Apiguard.  It's supposed to be removed and a new one placed in a week, but I'll be in Las Vegas at a medical class.  It will have to wait a few days until I return.  I actually wanted to use the formic acid Mite-away quick strip, but the directions say to use it in a hive with 6 frames of brood.
Furthermore, I dusted the bees with powdered sugar.  Previously I had used a sifter to do this.  This time I tried a floral duster I had bought sometime ago for this purpose.  Good idea, but it doesn't work well and the dusting was not thorough.  In the future I'll use the sifter.
It seems that the new hive is not as mite-resistant as I had hoped.  Since Olea's hive and the nuc are both direct descendants, I expect that they are also mite susceptible.  (You may recall I saw a mite on a drone from Olea's hive a few weeks ago.)  This, along with the propensity to swarm, leads me to consider re-queening.  I don't know if it is too late in the year to do so.  I intend to write to Jeremy Rose, who supplied this queen, and let him know of her and her queen off-spring's performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment