Sunday, August 26, 2012

Trouble in Olea's hive?

Yesterday I looked through the observation window into Olea's top bar hive.  I was dismayed to see a marked decline in the population.  After the swarm 3 weeks ago, only 2 combs were free of bees.  Now there were four exposed combs.  I tried to get a picture, but the reflection on the window made viewing the inside impossible.
I was worried about the viability of the colony.  I imagined that the queen had not successfully mated.  I was trying to figure out how I could put the bees from the nuc into the top bar hive.  This would involve doing something to make sure the queen is not killed, that the bees from the two hives do not fight each other and cutting the frames from the nuc to fit into the top bar and then wiring them to the bars.
But first I had to see what was going on in the hive.  Today I did a thorough inspection.  There was very little honey, a lot of clean, empty cells, some capped brood and some largish larvae.  I didn't see any small larvae, eggs or the queen.  Being pessimistic, I assumed the worst.  But before taking any action, I emailed Kathy Niven for advice.
She soon wrote back to me.  She pointed out that the hive swarms about 3 days (2-4) before the new queen hatches.  The queen goes on her mating flight about a week after hatching.  So it is possible that everything is fine.  Kathy usually waits a month to check the hive after it has thrown a swarm.  I'll keep an eye on the girls through the window and do a quick inspection again after Labor Day.
But wait, there's more.  When taking out the first bar, the comb broke off.  This time it wasn't because of my torquing it; it fell off as I was lifting the bar.  In the comb was a small section of capped honey and some surrounding ripening honey.  On the other side was an area of drone cells.  I had previously seen these after the colony swarmed.  All but seven of the drones had hatched.  I cut out the section with the honey and examined the drone pupae.  They were dead, somewhat dry and turning black.  I did a bit of research and deduced that they had died from being chilled.  This makes sense because after the swarm, I could see the area clearly since there were no nurse bees on it.  There was on mite which you can see in the photo.  It had crawled off one of the pupae.


On looking into the box, I could see a lot of debris on the floor of the hive.  I used some propolis on the end of a stick to pick up some.  Just as we all figured, mites.  I'm a bit disappointed in the mite tolerance/susceptibility of my new queen.  I plan to  re-queen both the new hive and Olea's hive in the spring with queens from Honeybee Genetics, where I got my first bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment