Saturday, April 20, 2013

Questions partially answered

So, what was going on in the old hive?  Was the new queen doing well?  Was it getting ready to swarm?  Could I prevent a swarm by making a split?  Inquiring minds want to know.  The only way to find out was to go into the hive, so yesterday I did.  My plan was to make a split if I found the queen and capped queen cells.
Overall, there were a lot of bees.  The hive looks strong.  There was a lot of capped brood in the top brood box and larva of various ages.  I didn't see eggs.  A careful frame by frame search did not reveal the queen.  I did find two capped queen cells on the bottom of one frame.  I made a mental note of which frame (second in) and set the top box aside.  I went through each frame of the bottom box.  A lot of capped brood, larvae and one capped queen cell.  The bees were making a new queen.  Either the hive was queenless or they were getting ready to swarm.  I didn't want to scrape the queen cells unless I knew the queen was there and laying.
I put the top brood box on and looked through it again.  And there she was!  The queen...small, dark and with a dab of orange paint on her back- my old queen!  I hadn't seen her on the two previous inspections. (Btw, the paint on her wing was gone.  My attempts at washing it off at the time of marking had been successful.)  I have never seen the queen that came with the nuc.  Had the purchased queen been killed in transport?  Had the two queens fought and the old queen prevailed?  Perhaps the workers from the hive, who outnumbered the workers in the nuc, had seen the new queen as an intruder and done away with her.  This latter possibility seems most likely to me.  But then, what do I know.
In any case, what should I do?  Make a split with the old queen?  Make a split with capped queen cells?  Let it alone?  When in doubt, do nothing.  And that's what I did.  I figure that the hive will swarm within a couple of days taking the old queen away.  I'll try to capture it and put it in my remaining nuc box.  I hope that the new queen is a daughter of the purchased queen.  If she's a daughter of my old queen, that would be all right.  After all, I have little choice.
Maidi and I have been talking about starting another hive with the nuc we already have.  This would be instead of selling it or trying to re-introduce the purchased queen.  (The queen cells in the new hive probably came from the old queen's eggs whom I was trying to replace.)  An elegant solution; but where to place it?   Do any of you want to take up beekeeping?

No comments:

Post a Comment