Thursday, April 18, 2013

Swarm or not to swarm



Settled on hive
I was out in the yard today, heard a lot of buzzing and looked at the apiary.  There was a cloud of bees in front of the new hive- it was swarming!  I watched and the cloud did not move.  I watched some more and it still didn't move.  I went and fixed the bush in the front yard and the swarm was still around the hive. 
Settling on hive
 Finally it condensed, onto the hive itself.  I determined to capture it in one of the nuc boxes I recently acquired.  I wanted to video it, so I set up a tripod, took some video and then went to change my clothes.  But wha' happened?!  The bees had gone back into the hive.  The swarm didn't swarm.
After some reading and discussion with Kathy Niven, I figured what must have happened.
As soon as I had removed the old queen prior to removing the double screen board,the now queenless bees in the bottom box started building queen cells.  When the boxes were combined, the workers thought it was time to swarm.  However, the queen never left the hive so everyone went back in.  But they will swarm soon.
It's all over, for now
So, more reading-  How to prevent swarming.  It was already too late for many preventive measures leaving only making a nuc.  I found many different methods for making a nuc and went for the one that seemed the easiest. Here's what I did:
1. Search carefully for the queen.  I looked at each frame in the top box.  The first two with no comb or only a little went onto the frame holder.  The next frames, with brood, went into an empty nuc box after I didn't spot the queen.  Four frames with brood followed - no queen.  One frame had two capped queen cells.  Also, when taking frames out, two other queen cells were broken open.  One had mush in it, the other an obvious queen pupa.  Then I repeated the search process on the bottom box- still no queen.  So another search of the frames in the nucs, frame-by-frame, and there she was on one of the frames from the bottom box.
2.  Leaving the frame with the queen, brood and nurse bees in the nuc, I then added another frame with brood, one with honey and one with pollen.  The fifth frame was empty, drawn comb.
3.  Re-assemble the hive.  I put the frame with the capped queen cells in the bottom box with other frames of brood beside it.The bottom box was filled.  I put five new frames into the top box and put the hive back together.
I hope it works.
I'm going to take a look into the other hive tomorrow to see if there are queen cells.  If there are, I'll make another nuc.  Then I'll have two nucs and I don't want another hive.  I'll try to sell them through the Santa Cruz Beekeepers Guild.

No comments:

Post a Comment