Thursday, March 5, 2015

Getting ready to make shook swarm

On February 3 I put Apivar strips into the hives, so I cannot put on supers until they are removed on March 17.
My intention is to populate Olea's hive with a "shook swarm" from one of the other two hives.  I read about the process and communicated with Les as to the fine points.  He recommended to check weekly for queen cells during swarm season and to make the split when I see them.  Swarms here have occurred in May. One way to predict swarming is by the drone build up.  Peak drone production is about 4 weeks before swarming.  I figured that when I saw drones I would follow Les's advice and start weekly checks for swarm cells.
Today I looked into both hives (2&3) to check for drones..  #3 looks strong with a fair amount of honey in the top box.  I did not look into the bottom box.
When I removed the top box of #2, I saw many drone pupae from broken cells, so I took a look at the frames.  One frame was nearly full of capped drone cells.  I saw no drones, however.  I did see an empty queen cup and what looked like two accidentally damaged closed queen cells.
What does this all signify?  I do not know, but it looks like #2 is getting ready to swarm.  But since there are no drones yet, if I make the shook swarm, the new queen will not be able to mate.  I think I should wait until I actually see some drones and then check both boxes of both hives for swarm cells.  If I see some, I will make the shook swarm for Olea's hive and maybe a split (into a nuc box) to repopulate #1.  If the girls swarm before I do that, then I hope I'm around and able to capture it.
I planted a lot of fava beans in early winter and they are in flower now.  I have seen an occasional bee on the plants but they must be finding better forage elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment