Saturday, July 11, 2015

Back from high latitudes


It had been more than 3 weeks since the last inspection and the bees were missing me.  I took a look in all the hives and the nuc yesterday.
Over all, things look good.  There is lots of brood and I spotted 3 out of 5 queens.  There does not seem to be more honey produced than there was last month and only Olea's hive has an obvious increase in population (there are now only 3 exposed combs).  There was no drawn comb on the drone frames so I moved them to the side.  I also moved one frame with old wax one slot toward the side in #3.  In the nuc I switched out a plastic frame that had no comb for a wooden frame with a new foundation.  There was an opened queen cell on an otherwise empty frame in #2.  The queen in #1 was gold, fat and beautiful.
A good brood pattern on a comb from Olea's hive
Brood on a misshaped comb on a foundationless frame from #3



Look at the different coloration of the workers in #1.  This demonstrates their genetic variation

The opened queen cell.  The frame is upside-down

Another view of the queen cell.  A queen has emerged from it

No comments:

Post a Comment