Sunday, June 14, 2015

Having faith in nature pays off

I took a look into the hives today, a last inspection until mid-July.  Over all, the apiary looks healthy.
There was capped brood in the remaining nuc.  The first two frames I looked at had very little drawn comb, the third had the brood; I looked no further not wanting to disturb the girls unnecessarily.
#1, in which, 10 days ago, I had seen the queen but no larvae, had lots of larvae and at least one frame of capped brood.  In this hive, too, I did not look further than needed.  Because there were so many larvae, I put the second deep box back on.  I did not want them to run out of room in the next 3-4 weeks when they will not be monitored. 
#2 seems to be the weakest colony.  They still have only a few frames of honey in the super and there just does not seem to be a lot of bees.  I did not inspect the brood boxes, only removed the MAQ from 2 and 3.
#3 is going strong.  There are lots of bees and the top super felt quite heavy.  I added a third super in hopes that it will be at least partially filled when next checked in July.
I did not go into Olea's.  I can look through the window and it seems that there are more bees.  At least there are fewer combs without bees on them.  I had wondered about taking out some comb and reducing the empty space in the box.  So I wrote to Les Crowder and asked.  His wife wrote back suggesting that I take a few bars of comb and place them in the nuc.  She did not know that all my hives other than Olea's are Langstroth.  I just left the hive as is, figuring that the bees know better than I and will manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment