Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A surprising occurence

Over the past two days I have been checking the hives for honey supplies and doing a sugar-roll mite count.  So far I have done #2 & 3.  Each had 6-7 frames of capped honey in the top box.  Various sources recommend different amounts of needed honey stores but I think for this area 8 frames in the top box is what is needed.  So I will continue to feed for a while.
"Ghost bees" returning to the hive after sugar-roll count
The mite count:  #3, 8 mites = 2.67%;  #2, 5 mites = 1.67%.  Randy Oliver treats if the count is over 2%.  I had counted #3 first and I figured I would see what the average for all 3 hives was before deciding to treat now with Apiguard (thymol).  However, here comes the surprise.
As I was preparing to check hive #1, I saw a swarm around the hives in front of #1&2.  It was relatively small and eventually settled on Marilyn Monroe
Small swarm cluster
I fetched one of my nuc boxes to capture the swarm and had to scrounge up five deep frames for it.  I had one unused frame with foundation, one foundationless frame but the rest were only mediums.  Then I found one black plastic frame and even though I do not like this kind, any port in a storm.  Then I came across the frame for queen grafting that I received at the class at Davis.  I pried off the rack holders, inserted a sheet of foundation and voila!, a fourth frame.  For the fifth I used a drone frame.
Next, I had to provide for a way to feed the bees.  I wanted to use the entrance feeder, but the entrance opening was too small.
The entrance feeder width compared to the entrance width
The solution was to take the bottom board off the box and re-cut the opening.  (I made it about 1/8th inch too wide and closed the gap with a wedge of wood.)  I closed both openings with duct tape.
Now that the entrance was blocked by the feeder, I needed to make another entrance using a hole saw.
Next I needed to prepare a spot to put the box and protect it from ants.  I used a couple of bricks in a Styrofoam lid and a moat of motor oil.
Now all was ready to capture the swarm.  I had earlier placed the nuc box beneath the cluster and put a couple of drops of lemongrass oil in the box.
Box in position and ready for bees
Now that all was in order, I grabbed the branch and shook and SHOOK.  Then I banged the branch with the drone frame.  The bees tumbled into the box and many took to the air.
I waited a few minutes and then looked at the branch.  There were just a few bees there and they were not clustering as they would if the queen was still there.
Feeling confidant that the queen was in the box, I carefully put in the five frames, put the top on and carried the box to the potting table, its new location.  There I removed the duct tape and placed the entrance feeder.
Hmm, one problem.  The full feeder was so heavy that it was tipping a bit and even prying the box slightly apart.  I could foresee disaster!   The solution: a piece of PVC pipe in a bath of oil in a cap from a lemonade bottle.
I took another look at the branch where the cluster had been,
and later on, there were no bees left.
Needless to say, the mite count and honey check was not done on #1.  I suspect that it was #1 that swarmed because there seems to be a lot more bees and activity at #2's entrance.  If I am correct (at least 50% chance), then I need to leave #1 undisturbed for a couple of weeks to give the new queen time to hatch, mate and start laying.  I did fill its feeder.
I do not really expect the swarm to survive; it is just too small, probably under a pound.  I am more concerned about the mother hive.  Is it too late in the year for her to successfully mate?  I only see a few drones in the hives, nothing like the numbers in late spring.  As with most things in life, time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment