Saturday, April 9, 2016

Another split, box reversal, emergency ant control and poor #2

It was a hot day and many bees in #1 were hanging out on the porch to keep cool.

This also was the day I was going to make a split from #1.  One makes a split for many reasons; I was doing so for swarm control and to have a back-up nuc.  There are many ways to make a split.  I was going use one of two methods depending on whether or not I found the queen.  If I find the queen, she goes into the nuc with 3 frames of capped brood with the attendant nurse bees, one frame of pollen and honey and an empty frame (preferably with drawn comb, which I did not have).  If the queen is not seen, then a frame with eggs and young larvae, two frames of emerging brood and two frames of pollen and honey go into the nuc.
So into the top brood box of #1 and on the first frame with brood I spotted the queen.  Into the waiting nuc box with that frame.  Then I searched for appropriate frames to add, rearranged and replaced frames in the brood box.  While looking through the hive I saw that the lower brood box was empty and that there was still some brood in the lower part of the frames of the lowest super.  In other words, the queen was still laying in the upper box.  I considered reversing the brood boxes, but I was getting very hot so I did not.  I took out the old MAQ strip and the spacer, reassembled the hive and put the nuc on the potting shelf.  I then had to stop because of overheating and I was unable to finish the job until several hours later.
Later that evening when I took a look at the nuc, I saw a trail of ants going into the box.  In the dark I raised the nuc on flower pots in motor oil moats and brushed off as many ants as I could.
The new nuc and the old nuc in a deep box
The next day, which was considerably cooler, I wanted to remove the spacers and old MAQs from
#2 & 3, which I did.  While I had #2 open, I took a quick look around.  I saw a spotty pattern of drone brood on two frames.  Do you all remember what that means?   It is a sign of laying workers.  This explains why #2 has not been doing well- it has been queenless for over two weeks.  Some beekeeper I am!  If I had known (by checking), I could have used the queen from the nuc to save #2.  Of course, then the nuc would not have swarmed and Olea's would still have no bees.  I will wait until the the new queen in the deep box (pictured above) is laying, then transfer her into #2.  How that is done will be determined by the then status of #2. 
I decided to reverse the boxes of #1 even though the need to do so is controversial.  It went smoothly.
Olea's hive is doing well.  They have built three new combs and I have stopped feeding them.
#3 seems to be doing well, but I did not inspect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment