Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Nuc girls grow up and no reversal for #3

The recently made nuc was population was all nurse bees, other than the queen, of course.  Nurse bees do not forage or leave the hive until they are about 3 weeks old.  So there has been no flying in and out of the nuc, or at least very little.  Until today.  There they were doing orientation flights.
This does not show well the large number of bees orienting
I also saw pollen being brought into the nuc-now-in-a-box. 
Pollen being brought in indicates that there is brood which means that the queen is laying.  This is the queen that was made after the swarm a couple of weeks ago.  In a few more days I will check to make certain that the queen is laying and, if she is, combine the nuc-now-in-a-box with the remaining bees in #2.
#3 INSPECTION
The top super light so I concluded that there was little honey in it.  The lower super was heavy and there was quite a bit of brood in the central frames.

What a healthy brood pattern demonstrating the bands of pollen and capped honey around the capped brood.
There was brood also in the top brood box.  Two frames, both of which were foundationless, were all drone brood.
The frames in the bottom brood box were empty but for some pollen. 
Typical frame from bottom brood box
I decided not to reverse the boxes in this hive as I had done in #1, believing Rusty Burlew who writes a blog I referenced last post and the article she referred to.  I will keep an eye on #3 and let you know when the queen moves into the bottom box.  I did see something new to me- pollen in the middle of the brood.
I think that the workers are filling the cell after a bee emerges rather than preparing it for an egg so that the queen will not/cannot lay there and therefore will eventually have to move into the lower box.

No comments:

Post a Comment