Tuesday, May 17, 2016

#1 is possibly queenless

On April 6 I made a split from #1 by taking its queen, some nurse bees, brood, honey and pollen and putting them in a nuc.  There were plenty of eggs left for the bees to make a new queen.  The queen that had been put in the nuc eventually ended up in #2.  She is in the top brood box separated from the bottom with a double screen.  The bottom had a laying worker and when I last looked, 8 days ago, I saw an egg in the bottom box.  I soon will take out the double screen.  The foragers from the top box have been using a small entrance in the back so they will have to learn the new orientation.
#1 had been a strong colony and I figured that they would easily make a new queen and thrive.  I took a look in 3 days ago, 38 days after making the split.  It takes 16 days for a queen to emerge after the egg has been laid.  It then takes a couple of days to mate, maybe a week to rest and so one expects a laying queen in about 4 weeks, counting from laying.  So, naturally, I expected a laying queen.  I saw this:
Since you are all experts by now, you recognize this as a queen cell that has been opened on the side.  This is what an emerged queen will do to her yet to emerge sister queens.  So I knew that at least one queen had emerged.  Unfortunately, I did not see a her nor evidence of a laying queen (eggs and/or larvae). 
The time it takes to make a laying queen can frequently be five days longer and even longer if bad weather prevents the mating flight.  Still, 5 1/2 weeks is really stretching the limits.  I will check again in a couple of days.  If there is no queen I will just combine #1 with #2 & 3.  I have no more nucs, so the apiary will be short a hive.
By the way, Olea's hive seems to be thriving.  I have added several bars and they continue to make new comb.

No comments:

Post a Comment