Sunday, May 1, 2016

It may seem like I know what I am doing

Today I checked the nuc-in-a-box to see if there was any queen activity.  I saw no eggs, larvae or brood cells and no queen.  I figured I should combine this hive with #2.  The question was how to do it.
I wanted to get the frames out of the box so that I could return it to Kathy (even though it was old and coming apart a bit at the corners), so at first I planned to take the frames from the (nuc) box and put them in the (#2) bottom box below the double screen board.  But there were still a lot of bees and capped drone cells.  Not enough room, or too much work, to follow plan A.  So what was plan B? 
I did not see any evidence of laying workers in the nuc, so I figured a newspaper combine would work.  Then I had to decide where to put the nuc box, above the bottom box with laying workers or above the box with the queen.  I figured that I still  need to keep the laying workers exposed to the queen and brood pheromones to suppress the laying workers ovaries.  One source said this can take 3 weeks and it has only been 10 days so far.  Now should it be placed over the brood box or hover the honey super?  Over the brood box.
Today's final set-up of #2.  Bottom brood box are the laying workers from queenless #2.  Next up is the double screen board.  The second brood box has the laying queen from the nuc I made with the queen from #1.  The two sheets of newspaper have 3 slits cut into them.  The funky box contains the queenless nuc-in-a-box.  The frames in there have a lot of pollen and honey.  When the combining is completed, I hope to swap the frames with resources into the other boxes.  On top is a honey super with hardly any honey.  I sprayed the bees that were still on it with Honey-B-Healthy and spritzed a bit into the box to minimize fighting.
Meanwhile... Foragers were returning to the site of their old hive.
What happened to our house?
Most experts say to move a hive either 2 feet or 2 miles.  And moving should be done at night when all the foragers have returned.  So what should I do with all these hard-working bees who are now homeless.
Well, I put a nuc with frames of drawn comb on the table and the bees quickly ran inside.
This evening I intend to cover the opening and move the nuc over near the other hives.  Of course, the box that these bees formerly called home has no opening so they will not be able to enter it.  Perhaps enough odor of home will pass through the slits in the newspaper and the two brood boxes to lure them in.  Or they will go into another hive.  Or something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment