Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Uh-oh. Bees under threat, again



A bit has happened since the last blog.
When we left off, I had combined the boxes of the defunct #1 with #2 & 3 and had some supers of capped honey to extract.  Four days later I took a look to see how the combining had done.  In #3, the newspaper was intact but there were no bees in the added box.  I must have placed the entrance of the double screen board the wrong way so all the bees had flown out.  (Measure twice, cut once.)  I took off the box and switched in a couple of frames that had honey and pollen.   There was still brood in the lower super but the bees seemed to be back-filling.  There was a smattering of brood in the upper brood box.  Maybe the queen was moving down.  I considered putting in a queen excluder, but since I had not spotted the queen I could just as well have trapped her in the super.
#2 had chewed through the paper and there were still bees in the box.  I shook the bees off, removed the box and switched some frames in 2 as well.  I did not look into the brood box.
We had extracted the honey from #1's supers, getting about 28 pounds.  I put 4 stickies onto #3 and 10 onto #2.
I added 2 more bars to Olea's for a total of 18 now.
The bees were not going to the sand/rock water source so I changed it to peat moss.  (As of today, they are not going there, either.)
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4125/5137849412_6793060a68_b.jpg
Five days ago I put in sticky boards to check the mite level.  The following day (9 days since last inspection), a couple we know came over to look into the hives with me; they have just started their first hive.  We looked through #3.  There was still brood in the lower super, perhaps even more than before.  We did not see the queen.  But I did see a bee affected by deformed wing virus.
This is not my bee, but it could have been. 
Deformed wing virus is transmitted by the mites and is a sign of parasitic mite syndrome, a bad thing for a hive to have.  I also saw on the floor of the hive the abdomen of a drone pupa with a mite attached.  (The nurse bees had removed the pupa because of the mite, a demonstration of hygienic behavior.)
I took a look at just a few inches of the sticky board and saw 10 or more mites, after only one day.  I knew the girls were in big trouble.
I went back to the shed and got MAQs and put two into both Langstroth hives with spacers.  Two days later I put a single MAQ into Olea's.  I put it on the floor of the box next to the first frame of brood I reached and put two empty bars above it.  I got this idea from a bee forum.
Today I took out the sticky boards.  There was well over 100 mites on each.

No comments:

Post a Comment