Tuesday, August 16, 2016

First use of a queen excluder

After extracting the honey ( 3 gallons or so), I put the stickies back onto the hives.  The expectation was that the bees would clean them up, then I could remove and store them.  After all the supers were off, I would treat with Apivar.  In case you did not read through the instructions (on the link), the Apivar strips should be used while there are no honey supers.  Like, right after the honey harvest, or now, in my case.  I also wanted to treat Olea's hive at the same time, so I need to get the honey from there.  I needed to wait a bit for that, too.  (see end of blog from 8/9).
In any case, I went today to take off the supers.  I had put the escape  board in tho make it easier.  In the first super, there were three frames of clean, empty comb, but the rest of the comb had nectar in it and the bees were swarming about.  Now what?  (Remember, I don't know what I'm doing.)
I decided to just take off all the supers and let the bees clean them up away from the hive.
What you can not appreciate in the above picture is the small cloud of bees around and below the supers and the loud buzzing.
I did remember that there was some brood in the lowest super on #3, so I checked again, and sure enough, there was brood on two frames, even young larvae.  I did not want to take this super off, but it looked like the queen was not going to stop laying up there.  Now what?
Aha!  I will put the queen excluder in!  Leaving the hive opened, I went to the shed to get the excluder.  Of course it was at the bottom of the rearmost stack of boxes and other hive parts.  After I moved everything out of the way and retrieved an excluder I put everything back, a bit more organized than it had been.
Back to the hive where there was near chaos with bees everywhere and a few yellow jackets trying to get in.  I guess leaving the hive opened was not the best idea.  I put the queen excluder in and then examined each frame in the super 4 times for the queen.  I did not see here so I closed up everything.
It takes 21 days for a worker to develop from an egg.  In 3 weeks, I will take off the super, harvest any honey left in it, take the honey from Olea's and treat all colonies with Apivar.

No comments:

Post a Comment