Tuesday, August 9, 2016

So, what happened with the nuc?

Four weeks ago, I made a "walk away" split with eggs, larvae, capped brood and nurse bees from #2.  Today was the day I had marked to check if the bees had successfully made a queen who then successfully mated and had started laying.
I had been optimistic because I had seen bees bringing in pollen, usually a sign that there is brood present.
The first good indication was the number of bees in the colony.  This was definitely more than the 3 frames I had put in.
On the second frame I looked at there was capped brood and larvae, so I knew there was a queen.  I decided to look at the other frames in order to choose one to photograph for you.
I decided the first one was best and here is what I saw:
Look closely at this picture.  Do you notice anything special?
How about in the middle a third up from the bottom?
Here is a close up:
On another note- every time I opened the door to the shed, many bees tried to get in.  There were also a lot of bees flying around a frame that had very little if any nectar.
It dawned on me that this is probably because the honey from has ended and the foragers are looking for any available food.  So yesterday I put entrance reducers in all the hives including the nuc.
I also went into Olea's to take the honey.  There was a fair amount of uncapped honey.  On the frames that did have capped honey, only the top half was capped.  I did not take any comb from Olea's, but I will in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment