Wednesday, March 13, 2019

It looks like spring has sprung, and, getting ready to split Olea's

 It looks like spring in the apiary.  Plants are beginning to leaf, the roses are putting out shoots, the bees are visiting the birdbath in numbers
and there is bee poop on the cars.
Olea's hive has survived with minimal treatment  soI have been wanting to split it.  The problem is that I want to put the split in a Langstroth hive; the bars and frames are not interchangeable.  There seem to be different ways to accomplish such a split.  Some of these seen quite elegant if not a bit too hard.  This one is done when a hive is about ready to swarm.  I thought of making a shook swarm.  This involves finding the queen and shaking her and a bunch of other bees into the split and leaving eggs in the top bar where the bees will make a  new queen.  I thought the easiest way would be to use the same method I have always done, i.e., move a couple of  combs with eggs and a couple of combs with honey and pollen into a box with a fifth frame of drawn comb.
I thought I would cut the selected combs off a top bar and hold them in a frame with rubber bands, as one does it collecting a cut out. 
IMG_9254mod
Picture taken from another site
I posted a query on a beekeeping forum asking for advice from others who have done this.  One beek suggested just tying the entire top bar to a top of a Langstroth frame.  This seemed to be the easiest way, so today I did a trial.
Old top bar and a Langstroth top bar

Held together with rubber bands
 I had to see if it would fit as the top bars from Olea's are wider than the langs.
They all fit
 I had to figure how to space all the bars.  I put side bars on the langs and off-set the top bar bars so that they met each other and were flush with the langs on the outside edge.
The light wood are the langstroth tops and the dark wood between are the top bar bars
 I plan to make the split tomorrow when it is warm.
There were ants in #1!  The tanglefoot had lost its tangle.  I reapplied it the best I could (those dang cans make it difficult) to all the legs in the apiary, then spent some time killing ants that were crawling over the boxes.
I saw a couple of bees (at least two) looking at and in the bait box.  I do not know if they are scouts from a swarm (I hope) or just curious foragers.  I will find out in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment