Friday, June 24, 2011

Into the hive with Maidi


Maidi went into the hive with me today. She thought it was amazing. The weather was sunny, cool and calm. The main job today was switching the medium super. The kit I had bought did not have the metal strips for the ledge on which the frames rest. I had bought strips from Carrier's and put them onto my empty super. So today, I switched all the frames from the old super into the new one. Carrier told me the metal strips are important to keep the frames from adhering too firmly with propolis.
The above photo shows brood on a small area on one frame in the super. I guess the queen had taken a stroll.
The transplanted frame has new capped cells and larva. I moved it over one more space.
We saw the queen, 2 frames with a beautiful pattern of capped brood cells and larva. Still can't see eggs.
Sadly, I squished 4 bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment