Wednesday, November 9, 2011

365 mites!

The temperature reached at least 60 degrees today, so I went into the hive.
There were many frames with honey, some brood and pollen and I spotted the queen.
I dusted with powdered sugar, and did it a bit differently. I put sugar on each super rather than just on the top one and letting it fall through. I felt this would get more sugar on the brood frames where the mites would be more concentrated. Either my theory was correct or there are just a lot more mites or both. I was dismayed when I took out the sticky board and could just see hundreds of mites- 365 to be precise. Of course, there could be a small counting error, but only small.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to treat. I haven't ordered my Mite-away quick strips yet. I did email Jeremy Rose again asking for his advice. I fully expect him to tell me to treat, but I wanted to know if it is too late in the year for formic acid. I hope he answers soon and will keep you all up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment