Thursday, January 12, 2012

Deformed wing

While looking at the bees today, I saw one walking around on the porch. It looked like something was stuck on her back that she was trying to get off. Then, on closer inspection, I saw that the something was actually her wing! Both of her wings were deformed into short, curled membranes. (I was unable to get a picture of her as she was gone when I got out later with the camera.) This is caused by the deformed wing virus and it is one of the symptoms of parasitic mite syndrome. PMS is not only a cause of grouchy women, but also a cause of the death of the colony. Naturally I'm concerned.
I already put in the sticky board for a natural mite drop count. I will email Jeremy Rose again to ask if it is safe to treat again at this time of year.
I also emailed Tom Seeley today asking him about his statement that bees don't forage within 500 meters of their hive. I'm looking forward to his response.

No comments:

Post a Comment