Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What's going on here?

That was the subject of the email I sent to Jeremy Rose this afternoon.  Here's what happened-
The sun was out today, it was warm and calm.  The weather forecast is that it will be cooler tonight with a chance of rain, with rain and dropping temperatures over the next few days.  I had intended to go into the hive in 3 days, Saturday, but I decided to take a look today.  The weather on Saturday would most likely be unhealthy for the bees and besides, I was anxious to know what was going on in there.
The first thing I noticed was that there was still quite a bit of activity with lots of pollen coming in.  When I took the top off, there were a lot of bees on the Vivaldi box, and a lot of bees in the hive.  I had been expecting the population to be declining, so I felt encouraged.
I took off the two top supers with all their honey to get into the brood box.  I took out the drone frame- still lots of empty cells, but I'm sure I saw eggs in a few cells.  I looked closely and it looked like a single egg in the middle of the bottom of the cell.  Next, I got to the brood frames.  Still no capped cells.  Then I spotted larvae in a few cells in one area.  Oh, boy!, I thought, there's a laying queen in there!  I looked around to see if I could identify her, but, no.
Now what?  What's going on?  Do I have a new queen, and if so, do I wait to see how she does with mites or should I just go ahead and replace her?
So, I emailed Jeremy.  And he wrote back an hour later.
To quote him (the link is mine),  It has probably developed a laying worker.  Probably too late to requeen.  In a few days when the larvae pupate you will be able to see if they are all drones.  No big deal, happens a lot this time of year.  Just wait for it to die and then install new bees.
Ah well, I had a short time of thinking everything was ok. 
Hope springs eternal...

No comments:

Post a Comment