Saturday, June 9, 2012

Afterswarm

Afterswarm cluster in plum tree
Yesterday while I was at work, Karly called me to tell me there was another swarm in the yard that had settled on the plum tree (videos by Karly).  Since I have no more empty hives, and I really don't want a fourth hive (at least now), I asked Karly to email and call local beekeepers.  No one responded until I reached James who said he would come out this morning. 
James happy with his gift
He was going to call first, but Comcast phone service went out and he couldn't get through.  We did eventually get into contact. He was at work, tending the vegetable garden at Dominican Hospital and couldn't get out until later.  So I shook the bees into a box, taped it mostly shut and placed it in the shade. He came by later to pick them up.  We had a pleasant and informative talk about gardens and beekeeping.  He has been keeping bees for six years.  His main point about caring for bees is to do just about anything you want.  Every bee person has a different approach.  I have bees because I like them, I'm not focused on a honey crop.  So I should just look in whenever I feel like it.  Each time one goes into the hive, it disrupts the bees and decreases their honey production.
I still don't know where the swarms came from.  Colonies may cast a second and even third swarm after the first.  These are called afterswarms or secondary and tertiary swarms.

No comments:

Post a Comment