Monday, June 11, 2012

Queen cells examined

I went into the hives; I was, as always, too impatient to wait to see what was happening.
In the old hive, I saw brood on both sides of a couple of frames in the upper brood box.  I also saw my queen in the upper brood box.  She is smaller than other queens and very dark, so I figure she is from the Carniolan line. I didn't go into the lower brood box at all.  I did try to tip it up to look at the bottoms of the frames for swarm cells, but I couldn't get it up high enough and me down low enough to see.  Maybe a mirror would help.
In the new hive, I saw several open queen cells.  I pinched out a few for later examination.  There was capped brood and empty cells, but I didn't see any eggs or larvae.  I also couldn't see a queen.  Either the hive is queenless, or the new queen has not yet started laying.  She may not have even mated yet and a virgin queen is shy and hard to spot.  There was no comb drawn in the upper brood box and only a small amount of the new frames in the lower brood box.  I tried to estimate if their were fewer bees than before, but it looked pretty much the same.  The plethora of queen cells leads me to believe that this is the hive that cast a swarm...twice.  I put a drone frame in.
I put sticky board in both hives.  I'll check them on Thursday.
I took a look into Olea's hive.  The bees had already glued down the bars with propolis.  I loosened the first one and lifted it out.  There was a piece of comb about 8x8 inches with nectar.  Later this week I'd like to make a more thorough examination to check brood and try to see the queen.  If she's from the new hive, I know what she looks like since I saw her a couple of weeks ago.
Inside the house, I examined the queen cells.  I split one open and saw that it had fine webbing on the inside, the remnants of the cocoon.  One of the cells had the cap partially attached. I went online to see pictures of hatched queen cells, and sure enough, that's what I had.  The clear sign was the chewed away opening.  So, more than one queen had hatched in the new hive and one left in the afterswarm.  I can only hope whoever is left mates successfully and gets to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment