Monday, August 12, 2013

It only looks like I know what I'm doing

Hive 3 just didn't seem to getting more populous.  There were only small areas of brood.  I learned that the queen will only lay if a number of eggs appropriate to the number of bees to nurse them.  At the end of July, after returning from the conference, I decided I needed to add more bees to the hive.  I have done this before, adding a frame of brood with its attendant nurse bees.
I hadn't been smoking my bees recently.  I wanted to do it this time because I anticipated that I would be disturbing them more than usual.  I had no pine needles and had used up all my  smoker fuel.  Not wanting to drive out to gather pine needles, I looked around the yard for something to use.  First I tried oak leaves- they didn't work.  Next was raspberry leaves- no good, either.  I came across dried and matted petals from Cecil Brunner.  These worked great.
I went into hive 3, spotted the queen and took out two frames from next to the small amount of brood present (two just in case found lots of brood in #1). In the strongest hive, #1, I went directly to the bottom box where I found only a little capped brood, some larvae, no eggs, no queen and lots of drones, even a drone hatching.  So I looked into the top brood box (after replacing it, of course).  There was capped honey, the queen and a few frames of brood.  I selected a good frame of brood and nurse bees and, after making certain the queen was not on it, placed it in a cardboard box that I had earlier fixed with wood scraps and duct tape to hold frames upright.
I sprayed the transfer bees with my home-made honey-b-healthy and placed the frame into #3, replaced the second frame and closed it up.
I felt like I knew what I was doing! Until...
I wanted to give #3 another frame.  I had looked in #2 a few days after the first transfer.  I didn't think it was strong enough to donate any brood.  A few days ago, I went back into #1 and took a frame of brood as before.  As I  was placing it into #3, I saw two capped queen cells on it, near the bottom, like swarm cells.  I  hesitated- should I squish the cells, put the frame back into #1 or nothing.  I just went ahead and put the frame in.  Now I wonder what will happen when the queens hatch, or will the reigning queen kill them first.  I wrote to Kathy Niven to ask her opinion.  I figure I should leave the hive alone for a couple of weeks and then take a look.  The queen in #1 is small and dark.  If one of her daughters takes over in #3, perhaps she will also be either smaller or darker and I'll be able to tell the difference.  I hope it wasn't a big mistake to put that frame in.  All we can do is wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment