Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Success with Olea's hive cross-combing

Earlier I had seen cross-combing on the distal combs in the top-bar hive.  It took form as a horizontal comb attached to the bottom of several vertical combs.  I expected that I would have to remove all the combs en bloc when it came time to harvest the honey.  At the conference I learned a bit more about top-bar beehives, and now, being an expert, I decided to take care of it now.
I was able to remove the back board and a couple of bars from the very back.  The back board was firmly attached with propolis and took a bit of work.  The last two bars had only a little comb and came out easily.  This is what I saw looking down into the box:
 You can see the horizontal comb protruding.  It crosses 3 or 4 vertical combs.
I thought the best way to proceed would be to cut the cross-comb between each bar, remove the bar and cut the unwanted comb off.  So I removed the spacer between the last two combs and discovered that my knife would not reach far enough.  I went into the kitchen, picked out our longest knife and went back to the hive, only to discover that this knife wasn't long enough either.  What did I have that was long, thin and rigid?  I thought of my steel square.   Since it is largish, I was afraid it might be awkward. I went into the garage and there saw my carpenter square.  This looked perfect.  The rule slides out.  And it worked!  It would reach all the way to the bottom of the box.  I gingerly slid it between the frames to cut the cross-comb... and surprise!... the comb just broke away.  It was not firmly attached to the vertical combs so I was able to break it off using my rule, hive tool and hands.
Here is how it looked after:
Cross comb all gone!
I looked at a few more bars.  There are 21 bars altogether.  Starting at 17 there were at least four combs of capped honey.  I looked no further. 
Olea's hive looks like it's doing well and I anticipate a honey harvest from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment