Sunday, March 9, 2014

Brood transplant into #2

Hive #2 was not discernibly increasing in population when I looked in a few days ago.  I decided it was time to give it a boost with brood from hive #1.  Before doing so, I reviewed several sources for the best way to do it.
I first had to look into #1 to find a frame with all or mostly all capped brood.  The queen was in the top box, still, and I found one frame with mostly capped brood cells; there were about 10 larvae visible.  Leaving the frame where it was, I then opened #2.  That hive is only one deep box now.  I removed one frame from the side, then looked at frames near the center, finding where there was some brood.  Leaving those frames alone, I shifted the other frames over making space for the transplant.  Then back to #1 to get the chosen frame.  I carefully looked to be certain the queen was not now on this frame, then spritzed all the bees with my Honey-B-Healthy.  I also spritzed into the space in #2.  Then I put the transplant frame with all the nurse bees into #2 and closed it up.  I replaced the frame in #1 with a drone frame.  Then I lifted the top box of #1 and removed the Mite-away quick strips.  I cleaned off a lot of brace comb and closed up.  I only saw a few drones.
During all this, the girls were getting more and more upset and there were several guards angrily buzzing about my head.  When it got too annoying, I would spray them with my H-B-H.   After I was all done, there were quite a few angry bees flying around the hive, so I put off mowing the lawn for a couple of hours.
It's been sunny enough the past few days to use the solar melter.  I have been able to process all the wax I had saved since last fall, almost a pound more.

No comments:

Post a Comment