Friday, March 28, 2014

Walk-away split postponed and nectar thievery


Stealing nectar from an orange blossom
Although honey bees are major pollinators, they sometimes steal the nectar.  That is, they get the nectar without coming into contact with the flower's reproductive organs.  The bees do not crawl into the orange blossom, but take the nectar from the side.  I have read that they also do this with apple blossoms. 
I had intended to make my walk-away split today, a sunny, warm day between storms.  I reviewed various sources regarding how to make a split and made a diagram for placement of the frames, one for no queen cells and one if there were queen cells, either swarm or supercedure.  I brought the nuc box and replacement frames over to the apiary and went into #1.
Bees on exposed drone pupae
Here's what I found:  There was still a lot of brace comb between the super and the top brood box.  There were drone cells in the brace comb and when I broke the super free, many drone pupae were exposed.  The bees went right to work on the pupae, probably eating them.The queen was spotted in the top box. There were a couple of frames with brood.  The central cells were empty and there was even some nectar in the central cells.  I saw no larvae and no eggs.  Even though the queen was in that box, it looks to me like these frames are going to be switched to honey storage.  
Bottom box- three frames with good brood.  There were also young larvae.  Try as I might, I could not see any eggs.  While I was looking, I was wondering if I might see a second queen, one for each box.  I had read that one should use a frame with eggs for a walk-away split, so I did not make the split.  I figure it was good news that I saw no queen cells.
I took a quick peek into #2- it still isn't full.
I will write, again, to Kathy Nevin for advice.  I hope she will come over to work with me.
My cabbage and Brussels sprouts had bolted and I left the plants for the bees.  Today I saw bees on them for the first time.
Yum!  Cabbage flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment