Saturday, February 25, 2012

Drone brood mite count


I went into the hive today with Laura. No one got stung. Laura thought it was amazing. Perhaps she'll comment on the blog regarding her impressions.(clue, clue).
We got a look around the hive. As usual, the bees seem happy. We saw brood, pollen stores,capped honey, nectar in the process of becoming honey and a few drones. We did not see the queen.
There was a bunch of burr comb with capped drone brood cells. I scraped some off and we took it into the house to look at some larva. Then we put the drone brood frame in and closed up the hive.
Here is the brood comb in a flower pot dish:

The comb is somewhat distorted by being scrapped off. You can easily see the domed caps of the drone cells. The white stuff is pupae that got squeezed and squished in the removal process. The toothpick and pins are our dissecting tools. Here's what we found:
Those dark spots on the pupae are, you guessed it, varroa mites. I looked at 11 pupae and all but one were infested. The one on the left was the only pure one. Many had 2 mites on them and some of those disgusting mites were even crawling around. 10/11 mites is close to a 91% infestation rate. I suppose I could have examined all the pupae, but it was too tedious. According to one source, an infestation rate of 5% is ok, over 25% indicates a severe problem. So, no more deceiving myself, my colony is in danger.
I will re-queen later this year and will use the drone frame to keep the count down. I'll probably do some powdered sugar counts or dusting as well.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating, fascinating, fascinating. And extra incredible getting a peek into the world of bees with my dad, and his bee hive-- my hero! -A thoroughly wowed Laura

    ReplyDelete