Friday, May 15, 2015

#3 is queenright

There were several frames with a good pattern of brood.  However, only about a quarter of the frame was with brood.  I conclude that there is a good queen but as of now there has been a bit of a shortage of nurse bees.  The queen will not lay more eggs that can be taken care of.  When the present brood hatches and the nurse bee population increases, I expect she will lay in larger areas.
One frame with an area of a good brood pattern
The bees had not done anything on the coated drone frame except maybe chewed a little.
I wanted to add bars to Olea's.  I saw a piece of comb on the bottom of the box and removed it.  In doing so, I had to take out another bar and this one had some cross-combing with honey.  I moved it to the back and a minute or two later I heard a the loud, short hum the bees make when jostled.  I looked and a big piece of the comb with honey had fallen.  It too was retrieved.  I put in enough bars to fill the box.
Comb laying on bottom of box

The honeycomb that fell
 I took a look into the top box of #1.  There may have been some comb drawn but nothing dramatic.  There was a small amount of nectar.
The woodpeckers are back snacking on the bees so I put up the pole with flash tape again.

1 comment:

  1. Boy, that comb is so pretty. did you take honey out of it?

    ReplyDelete